Monday, September 14, 2026

Voice From The Past

About a quarter of a century ago, when I was a stay at home mom, a salesman at the station where The Husband works asked me to lend one of my character voice to a client's radio commercials. In exchange, the client would provide free home services to The Husband and me. When I hired on at the station, I recorded and produced these ads myself.

This went on for several years. It was a fun arrangement and a good deal for all parties involved. Eventually the sales man retired and I left the station, and that was the end of that.

Today, 14 years later, The Husband and I needed the client to do some stuff around the house, and the owner himself came over. We had a lovely conversation during which he reminisced about how well those radio ads had worked for his company. "Any chance I could convince you to bring that character back for me?" he asked.
Oh, you know he could.

Holy crap, you guys.
I haven't worked in radio since 2015. The people I currently work with don't know about my broadcasting history. It sure seems like no one remembers or cares that I used to be locally famous.
Then this client pops up and not only does he remember, but he also wants me to come back.
What a huge compliment!

No comments: