Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Dangerous Game for Couples

He says, "I got a surprise for you. I was going to install it and see how long it took you to notice, but you came home before I had the chance."

I reply, "Oh, nice! Is it a replacement window crank?"
"No. But, I do need to fix that. Guess again."
"Is it that shelf for the reading corner?"
"No, but I should order that. I'll give you a hint: It *is* something broken, and I only spent two dollars."
"Is it the loose kickboard in the kitchen?"
"Nope. Keep guessing!"

I thought hard about what other broken things in the house might cost only $2 to fix, trying to decide which one to pick next, it dawned on me. If I list one by one each broken thing in the house, I will slowly watch the spark in my wonderful husband's eyes dim as he realizes just how many things in the house I think need to be tended to. 
I didn't want to play this game anymore.

All he wanted to do was surprise me with a little something thoughtful. 

No comments: