Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Letting Go - The Cinnamon Taffy Chapter

The Husband and I brought salt water taffy to a social gathering over the weekend. I picked out a pretty pink piece which turned out to be cherry flavored, and I enjoyed it very much. So, I picked out another pink candy expecting another cherry. But it was not.

"Aw! This one is cinnamon!" I moaned. "I don't even like cinnamon."

Immediately,  The Husband and two other friends said, "Then don't eat it."
"But, I already bit it."
The Husband said, "So what?" And then pointed out that the whole bag had cost two dollars. Each piece cost only a few cents. Besides, "What's the point of eating candy if you don't want to and won't like it?"

He and I are trying to break old, taught habits.  Habits that cause us to endure things we don't like simply because there's been an investment of time, effort, and/or money made. Habits that cause us to keep and store things we no longer want or need simply because "it's still perfectly good".

I threw away the cinnamon taffy. I felt guilty about it. For about five whole seconds.

No comments: