Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Stop Chastising Yourself Today

A conversation between The Husband and a co-worker turned to the subject of sobriety. The Husband jokingly reminisced about "the good old days" before there were drunk driving laws and Uber. He remarked how simple it was for him and his buddies just to hop in the car after a night at the bar.

The co-worker was not amused. "You mean to tell me you drove drunk? Don't you realize that rant rant rant..."
 
The Husband let the co-worker have his say. For a bit. But there came a point where it was enough.
The Husband held up his hand. "Are you seriously going to chastise me today for something I stopped doing 40 years ago?"

Stop for a moment, and read that question again.

I think it is brilliant. 
It is a simple question that ends an emotionally triggered spiral.

This is the question I ponder as I sit awake in the middle of the night overthinking and regretting things I've done. 
Why do I insist on chastising myself for things I stopped doing long ago?

Perhaps it's time I cut myself some slack, huh?

No comments: