Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Barney On His Way

Barney, the man I left behind when I moved from Michigan to Wisconsin, continues to pop up in my dreams. His appearance often represents things that aren't related to the relationship we had. Rather, he has represented other things I left behind when I transitioned from living a life under my family's umbrella to living a life truly on my own.


Barney and I ran into each other in my dreams once again last night.

In the dream I am walking through an auditorium. It's the kind where the seats and the steps are built into the floor. You enter on the topmost seating area and look down to the performance area. I'm passing through this upper space on my way to get somewhere else.
I feel amazing. I am confident, strong, invincible. I'm wearing my power suit, and for once, having a good hair day.

There's a small group of people gathered a few steps down from me.
Barney is one of them. A rolling suitcase is at his side, his hand rests on its handle. He is headed somewhere important, and he is dressed to impress. 

The moment I recognize who he is, he looks up at me. There's a golden glow around him as his smile lights up the room.

"There she is," he says. And he beckons me to come over.

I step down and approach, but the people standing next to him keep shifting and moving between us. About the time I realize they'll never let me reach him, he fades away, and the dream disintegrates.

I woke up feeling very good about this dream. It had been truly good to see him, and to be seen by him.... before he left.

And I wonder now if Barney in real life might have left this world last night and had stopped by to see me on his way to somewhere important.

No comments: