Saturday, December 03, 2022

Climbing Trees

There's a magnificent tree outside my Chiropractor's office. Staring at it while I waited for my appointment,  I thought how its limbs were perfect for climbing.

I imagined how in my youth I would have wrapped my arms around its lowest branch, swung one leg up over it, planted my other leg against the trunk, and by applying the right counter-balance simply pivoted my body easily onto the branch.

Climbing trees used to be one of my favorite things to do. My cousins and I loved climbing Grandpa's cherry tree with its low, horizontal limbs ideal for reclining. (Grandpa wasn't so fond of us being up there since we ate his cherries and he didn't have any left for making wine.) I used to spend entire summers playing in the woods with the neighbor kids seeking out trees the littlest sister could pull herself into so we could all climb the same ones together.

Staring at the Chiropractor's tree, I thought about how I would pick and choose my way up and how high up I could get. I could almost see myelf up there, testing each limb's strength before shifting my weight to it, feeling the rough bark with my fingers... I could practically smell it from the office chair.

It was such a strong and pleasant thought. It made me wonder when was the last time I climbed a tree and why I ever stopped.

Chances are I stopped because I moved away from home and had no access to decent trees.

But the last time I climbed a tree was 30+ years ago while on a date. The young man involved had been excited to take me grouse hunting. As I followed him through the woods I asked him questions because I knew nothing about grouse or how to hunt them. And I made jokes because that's who I am and that's what I do, and if you're going to date me, this is what you're gonna get. 
When we passed a really good climbing tree, naturally I had to go up it.
He kept walking. Walked clear out of sight. I waited a few moments for him notice my absence and come back for me, but he didn't. He was probably relieved that I'd finally stopped talking and wasn't spooking the game anymore.
I'd have probably stayed in the tree, let him keep walking, and just gone home by myself except that I wasn't familiar with these woods and didn't know how to get out. So I climbed down and went after him. 

That was the only time I'd gone hunting, and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I've climbed a tree.

Oh, to explore the heights of a tree again! The spirit is still willing to do it, but the body is weak, plus the brain is too smart and cautious.

::sigh::

Btw, the Chiropractor agreed with me that the tree outside his window would be a great tree for climbing.

No comments: