Sunday, May 15, 2022

Gratitude Day 18 - the hair

Grateful that I broke up with my former hair stylist and took friends' advice to develop a new relationship with their stylist.


I'd been unhappy with my hair for years. When my then-stylist would ask what I wanted to do today, I'd respond, "Just shave it all off."
And I wasn't really kidding all that much, because if I could have pulled off the look, I'd have totally done it.
I didn't like the style I had, but I also didn't know what style I would like; I *did* know that I didn't want the middle-aged-midwest hairstyle that all the other women my age seemed to be wearing.
So every time he asked what I wanted, I told him to just do what he, in his professional opinion, thought was best.

I never liked the style he gave me. It looked suspiciously similar to the middle-age-midwest style everyone else was wearing. I wanted something else, but not knowing how to guide him, I shrugged and put up with it.
And wished I had something different. 

After every appointment, he'd set up our next appointment before he'd let me pay and leave. Very clever.

Along came COVID-19. 
He called me to cancel our next appointment when hair salons were ordered to close. Not knowing when he could open again, he apologized that he could not reschedule.
I told him I understood, no worries.

And I immediately consulted with friends who had amazing hair, and they eagerly recommended a new stylist. 

She has been wonderful!
I am SO much happier with the style she suggested. The Husband has remarked SO often that I'm having good hair days, and he's so glad I'm happier with my hair. Apparently I'd complained to him about the old style a LOT.

My former stylist called just once after his salon was allowed to reopen to set up an appointment, but I told him (honestly at the time) that I wasn't ready to go out in public yet. He said he understood and told me to call whenever I was comfortable. 

I never called. 
I ghosted him.
I feel bad about it. I could have handled that better.

But day-um! My hair is AWESOME now.

No comments: