Thursday, October 28, 2021

First rule of surprises

The deception should not be more emotional than the surprise.


Here's what happened:
Tuesday morning I received an invitation to a virtual meeting with two upper management staff. My immediate supervisor is not included. The meeting, titled "Quick Update" will be Thursday, but that's the only detail I get about it.
I fret about this for two days. What the hell is a quick update? A staffing change? Okay, but why aren't any of my coworkers invited?

I reach out to my immediate supervisor and another coworker; they don't seem concerned and they tell me not to worry, it's probably nothing.
I will find out later they both knew what's up, but they didn't want to spoil the surprise.

Two days later, TWO DAYS!!! They start out with, "We have some good news..." and acknowledge they could have given me some hint about the meeting sooner. But they didn't want to RUIN THE SURPRISE!!!

Hey, guess what?
The ANXIETY ruined the surprise.

So, either I do not like surprises, or the people around me really suck at executing surprises.

And I never imagined it was possible to be this pissed off to receive a raise and promotion.

No comments: