Friday, February 19, 2021

Ending the Week on a High Note

This week started out rough, but it ended on a high note.


The early week roughness was a combination of sleep deprivation and work stress. When Drew left the company, his duties were divvied up among the team until his replacement can he found. The duty assigned to me is really juicy, and it's something I'd been wanting, actually, as it lines up well with what I was hired to do. Even better, it's my duty for keeps. My supervisor wants me to handle it permanently going forward. I kinda wondered why it hadn't been on my plate to begin with, but that's neither here nor there because it's mine now.

The thing is, it's a BIG juicy duty. Drew and I talked about it before he left, and we agreed that one person alone could spend 40 hours a week on this one thing.
So it's a BIG juicy duty on top of all my other responsibilities. 

Hence, the stress.
And from the stress, disruption in sleep.
Throw in mid-winter blues and some sub-zero temps, and Roses is a sad girl.

But some good things happened this week:
- Elder Son had a birthday, so the whole family was here for cake and presents. Yay! Socialization with real live, in-person human beings!
- I bought a stand-up desk, and The Husband and I are finally moving our workspaces out of the diningroom and into one of the boys' empty bedrooms. Yay! Separation of work and home life finally after 11 months!
- Daytime high temperatures broke double digits twice this week, so I was able to go for a walk a couple of times. Yah! Exercise without risking severe bodily harm!
- At the office, I was granted permission to have Drew's abandoned cubicle. Drew's cubicle is better than mine. My cubicle has a vent located directly above my head; it hisses constantly which drowns out all the chatter in the room. That's cool if you like solitude, but it's not cool if you have a deep seated childhood issue related to feeling left out. In contrast, Drew's cubicle is deep in the hub of the department surrounded by fun people who love to chat and laugh. His cubicle also has a view of windows; my cubicle does not.
Today I received notification from the IT department that my computer and phone have been officially moved over to Drew's old space. Monday morning I can go in and transfer my personal belongings.
Yes, I realize it's a little ridiculous to get excited about moving from one cubicle to another in an office where I'm not actually working. But this change will improve my workplace happiness in so many positive ways that I feel better about my entire job in general. Yay! Job satisfaction!
- But probably the best thing that happened this week is that I'm finding out just how much I'm enjoying the new juicy duty, and I'm finding out that I know more about how to do it than I originally thought. Yay! Roses has a big smart brain!

So, life is good today.
If you and I had talked four days ago when I was tired and sad, you might have been worried about me, but I'd have told you it would all work out, and I'd have been right.
Because you see, today life is good.

No comments: