Tuesday, September 24, 2024

The One with the Company Network

This shouldn't be a thing, but here's the thing...


My workplace is having network problems. We are able to access only in-house applications while on the company campus. Other things, like access to Google Analytics and other SEO tools that I use, are blocked. 
Conversely, I can access everything using my home internet accept for the company's proprietary apps.

So...
I can a few things at work, but everything else I have to do at home.

Fortunately, I can function nicely at home without the company's apps. There are only a handful of "aw crap, I can't do that right now" things that pop up. But, I can function.

This all means that for the past couple of weeks, I've been working exclusively from home. I went in Monday morning (yesterday) because my super said things had cleared up, but she was wrong. I struggled to find things I could do with just the company apps, and quickly ran out of work.
It was frustrating. And sad, frankly, because I *like* being in the office with my coworkers. Having no work to do meant I had to leave at 9am.

It all smacks of COVID. I feel alone and abandoned. I can't keep track of which day it is. I'm depressed. Nothing matters because no one knows or cares what I'm doing. 

Communication from our supervisor has been infrequent and unreliable.
The all-staff updates we get from corporate are useful but not inspiring.
 "We're working on it," they say. "There is a long list of things we need to fix. This is how far we've gotten so far. Please be patient."
The IT department has been working almost around the clock for weeks and weekends. They are tired.

And no one is saying a peep about what caused this. Very hush hush.
So many rumors. So little information. 

I am surviving by telling myself that this is only temporary. But, we thought COVID was going to be temporary.  So, I'm not feeling comforted by this hope.

I'll be okay.
I just don't like this.
Plus, the weather took a turn. We had a high of 88 degrees on Saturday and a high of 65 Sunday. Yesterday I got up early, did my hair and makeup, and drove into work only to turn around and drive back home an hour later. Today it's raining.
So, super moody as I type this.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: