Monday, October 31, 2022

Sensitive Conversation Topics

Did you know vehicle purchases are trigger topics?


This shouldn't be news to me, really. Growing up I learned that all vehicles are GM vehicles if you want to remain in this family.
I once mentioned to my dad that I thought the Mustang looked pretty cool, and I wanted to buy one. He replied, "Oh yeah? Where are you going to park it? Because you're sure as heck not putting a Ford in MY driveway."
So yeah. I liked eating the food and living in the house my GM-employed father paid for, therefore I have never owned a Ford Mustang.

But dayum. 
Mention that you've ordered a GM-produced electric car to each of your GM-retired brothers and you get two polar opposite reactions.

One asks if you need to use his GM family discount to pay for it. Nice! 🙂👍

One accuses you of drinking Biden-agenda Kool-aid. And that was the nicest thing he said about it. I got a fricking earful of a lot of unrelated garbage he thought I needed to hear about on top of that. 😑

I'm just saying, regardless of your political views, this an unusual and unexpected response to the news that someone is financially supporting the company that you and your father retired from.

I'm just stunned by this reaction.
The hell?

Pardon me while I retreat back into my paranoid shell and avoid talking to certain family members about anything even slightly personal for another ten years.

No comments: