Thursday, July 07, 2022

To Be or Not To Be (at the office)

 Fourth of July was a nice three-day weekend.

I had planned to work in the office on the Tuesday after the holiday. All my work gear was packed and ready to go. Alarms were set for 6am. Attitude was optimal.

Of course, the fun holiday convinced me to stay up a little too late watching the city fireworks show, and the boys came by the house afterwards to relieve our refrigerator of its leftover bratwurst. Then I woke up at 4am with The Husband before he left for work. I should have been able to go back to bed and sleep for a couple more hours easy, but I didn't. Instead, I laid awake thinking about how badly I needed to sleep if I was going into the office, doing the math, figuring out how few hours of rest I was getting as each minute passed.

Still awake at 5am, I had an epiphany: I didn't have to go into the office at all.
The only person that had been looking forward to it was me. And I no longer wanted to go.

I reset my alarms for 7:30 and fell asleep instantly.
Slept like a log. Dreamed deeply.

When I woke up again, I congratulated myself for being flexible and open minded about my work options.
Sometimes I am smart.

No comments: