Thursday, December 03, 2020

Mom's Poinsettia 2020

My dad brought home a poinsettia for Mom's birthday every year. 


We weren't allowed to put up any Christmas decorations until after Mom's birthday. The poinsettia was always the first festive item allowed to be displayed.
One holiday at a time. In order.

As a child, I protested. WHY can't we put up the tree? Thanksgiving is over!

Now I understand it was Dad's way to ensure no one *ever* handed Mom a gift declaring it to be her birthday AND her Christmas gift.

A few years back, I began my own little tradition of buying a poinsettia on Mom's birthday. There's a ritual: I wander the entire acre and a half greenhouse and wait for a sign from Mom telling me which one she wanted.
Pandemic or not, I went to get one this year, too.

After years of hearing Mom's voice, this time it was Dad that piped up. He told me to get Mom a solid red one because that is what Mom always wanted.
Specifically, he told me to get this one:
Nice choice, Dad. 
Thank you for the assist. 

Happy birthday, Mom

No comments: