Friday, September 11, 2020

Yarn Will Be My Ultimate Undoing

The rules were simple:

1) Keep my hands in my pockets, and
2) Don't touch anything unless I'm going to buy it

The Husband and I had been ultra cautious for six months. We'd remained mostly secluded aside from grocery shopping, the rare trips to our workplaces, and a total of four instances of take out food.
Four. Over six months.
We'd. Been. Cautious.

Today however, we decided to treat ourselves and actually browse our favorite second hand store. We drove past the shop first to see how many people were inside, and we saw no one. Great! We put on our masks and stepped inside.

Like I said, the rules were simple. 
I entered with my hands in my pockets. No more than two steps in, I spied the box filled with bags of colorful yarn. I immediately picked up a bag, turned it over to see the colors, then picked up another bag and stood there comparing the two.

"So," said The Husband, "I see you will be doing all the touching of things while we're here."
"Oh my god. I touched things!"

I spent the rest of our visit with my hands held up and away from my body as if I had wet paint on them and was trying not to drip on anything.
I was also in charge of carrying all our purchases to the counter, and I was in charge of carrying the bag out to the car where we dumped it in the trunk to be quarantined for the next three days.

The Husband, unviolated, opened the car door for me and squirted hand sanitizer into my palms. As I detoxed, we laughed about how quickly I had abandoned all rational thought at the sight of that box.
I told him, "Well, it's clear now that if you ever wanted to do me in and make it look like an accident, yarn should be involved."

No comments: