Friday, August 04, 2017

Two Word Movie Review - Dunkirk

Here are your two words:

Three Stories

This movie is three stories blended together to illustrate what happened on the beach of Dunkirk, France during World War II.

I thought it was a good movie.
It was not the movie I thought I was going to see.
I thought the movie was going to be about the British civilians who sailed their personal seacraft to the beach and saved lives.
I mean, read the poster: "When 400,000 men couldn't get home, home came for them."
I was partly right, but I was mostly wrong.

Because only one third of this movie was about the brave civilians.
Another third of the movie was about fighter pilots.
And another third of it followed the soldiers on the beach.

Knowing that you are watching three separate stories will help you enjoy the movie more.  During the movie, you are shown the words "The Mole: One Week", "The Sea: One Day" and "The Air: One Hour".  Those words are meant to explain that you are watching one story about what happens over the course of one week on The Mole (the beach), a separate story about what happens on The Sea over the course of one day, and another story about what is happening in The Air over the course of just one hour.
(Maybe you are far smarter than I am, but I had no idea what those words were trying to tell me; I had my ah-ha! moment in the car on the way home afterwards.)

It's a good story.
All of them.

If you can't get to the theater before it's gone, rent it or buy it when it comes out on DVD/BluRay.

***
Read this author's movie critic credentials.
Read more Two Word Reviews.

No comments: