Sunday, April 10, 2016

Two Word Movie Review - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Here are your two words:

War Movie

This is a good movie.
But it's not your typical Tina Fey comedy.  It's not really a comedy at all.  It's a war movie. 
Based on the book  The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Kim Barker, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" stars Tina Fey as a 40+ aged broadcast journalist sent to Afghanistan in 2003.  It's based on real people and actual events.

The comedy in this movie isn't set up/punchline humor.  It's naturally occurring humor, and if you go into the movie expecting that, you will like this movie.  If you expect slapstick, laugh-track-worthy jokes, you will be disappointed.

My first words to The Husband as the closing credits started to roll were, "I think this movie was too smart for me."  It could be that it was a little too true for me.
You see, I felt a special bond with Tina Fey's character.  Throughout the movie, I asked myself, "If The Husband didn't exist, and I was this 40+ year old broadcast journalist, what would I do?  In a parallel universe, this could have been me."
This may be why I liked this movie as much as I did.
But The Husband liked it, too.  In fact, he laughed much more often than I did.

I am pretty sure this movie spoke to Ms. Fey in a very special way because the dedication at the end was to someone whose last name was Fey.

To me, the true mark of a good movie is that it makes me want to read the book that it's based on.
First thing I did when we got home from the theater was put myself on my library's waiting list for this book.

Read disclosures here.
Read all the Two Word Reviews.

No comments: