Tuesday, June 23, 2015

2-Word Movie Review - Jurassic World

Here are your two words:

"More Teeth"

I am aware that there were two follow-up movies the the original movie based on the Michael Crichton books, but THIS movie is the true sequel to Jurassic Park.

If you liked the original Jurassic Park and wish you could watch it again without knowing how it ends, you should go see Jurassic World.

This is classic Steven Spielberg cinema.
The things you liked about the original are also in this movie:
 - amazing, unpredictable, dangerous animals
 - unexpected heroes
 - a decent plot
 - characters you want to see get eaten

Compared to Jurassic World, Jurassic Park II and III are just random dinosaur movies.  In those movies, you could easily swap out the dinosaurs for any other wild animal, frankly.
In Jurassic World, we go back to the original scary creatures: greed and government.  Like the original Park, the dinosaurs in World are as much innocent victims as the young kids who get trapped in the entertainment park's vehicle designed with their safety in mind.

This movie is available in 2D and 3D.  I went to the 2D version.
The cinematography was wonderful.
I allowed myself to get so sucked into this movie that I grabbed The Husband's arm for a good long portion of the show.  And by the time we were in the car looking left and right for traffic, I fully expected to see a dinosaur somewhere.

I did.
I'm confident enough in myself to admit this.

To be fair, a co-worker of mine thought Jurassic World was cheesy.
Come on.
Dinosaurs.
What did you really expect?
And sure, when the young kids wander off the beaten path, oh gee, what could possibly go wrong?
Yes, there are several predictable plot points, however, there are a few surprises as well.  

I'm also going to throw the band wagon at you. Everyone is seeing World. The Husband and I went to the 2D Monday matinee, and the theater was still half full.
On a work day.
During office hours.

I liked this one a LOT.
I would recommend seeing it in the theater with people. Fun.

2 comments:

Thumper said...

I've bee on the fence about seeing this because I've become really intolerant of bloody, violent movies. But if it's GOOD...I should probably see it, eh?

Roses said...

I'm not a fan of gratuitous blood and gore either. I don't recall any in this one. There's good chomping sound effects, but no accompanying spurts of blood.

It really is very much as classy as the first Jurassic Park.