Thursday, July 15, 2010

A lily-livered update

This is not the funny you are looking for.

Today is Lily's birthday.
She made it to 49.  Yay!

She is now living in Kansas.  Her family is together again after 6+ months of commuting, transferring, and cancer-news-sharing.

While Lily responded well to chemo treatments early, her two final treatments were delayed by low white blood cells and plateletes.  And just those short delays allowed the tumors to re-grow.
It the process of moving from Tenessee to Kansas, it has now been 6 weeks since her chemo treatments ended and a new doctor has been consulted.  Scans show the tumors have not only grown, but have also multiplied.

From the beginning, we knew that no one walks away from Stage 5 cancer.
But, we had hope.  She had been doing so well.

Next step is radiation.  They'll stick a needle into her liver and hit the cancer where it lives.
Again, it's not to save her life.  It's to give her more time.

It's to give us more time.

So today, on my sister's 49th birthday, I pray she receives as a gift... a 50th.

9 comments:

Mrs. Who said...

*hugs* Prayers for you all...

Dani said...

It's never enough time but I know you will all use it well. Hugs.

Thumper said...

I'm pulling for not just a 50th, but a miracle as well. I get the feeling she's someone who deserves it. So do you, kiddo.

Teresa said...

*sigh* My prayer is that she lives as pain free as possible. There is never enough time.

Priscilla said...

Precious precious time. How blessed everyone will be with every minute she is with you'all. Please remember to tell her, when she's ready to go, you'll all be behind her. It's a great gift.

Roses said...

Crappy consolation, but at least Mom is there waiting to welcome her.

Andy said...

Roses, thank you for the update on your Sis. I had been wondering how she was doing.

I really appreciate you letting us know. Got no good words, kiddo...

Nothing that will help.

Nothing except "Thank You" for keeping us in the loop.

The Merry said...

I'm with Thumper -- a miracle is definitely in order here.

And at the same time, I'm proud of you for recognizing the odds. My sister-in-law goes around telling the family that my brother's end-stage liver disease is 'reversible.' Uh... yeah.

The Gray Monk said...

Prayers are still with you all, but I hope she has a really great day.