Sunday, May 28, 2017

Two Word Movie Review - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Here are your two words:

"Father's Day"

Not a spoiler; I don't think it's a secret, and you won't be surprised anyway to find out that we meet Starlord's dad in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

The theme of fatherhood is threaded through the entire movie all the way to the very last bonus scene at the end of the credits.  (Not that bonus scene, the next one.  No no, not that one either, the next one.  Listen, just stay in your seat until the house lights come up and the muzak comes on in the theater, 'k?)

Take your dad to this movie.
Take your old-enough-to-watch-it kids to this movie.
Go on Father's Day if it's still in a theater near you.

(The planets aligned in the Ack!Thbbbt! universe, and even though we did not plan it, both boys were able to join The Husband and me at this viewing.  It was nice.  And when I realized the fatherhood theme was a thing and shouted it outloud in the theater, none of my family members hid in shame refusing to admit they were related to me.  Instead, their eyes lit up and they agreed with my assessment.)

The good news is this sequel is unique in that it does not suck like most sequels do.
The humor and the character development hold up just as well in Volume 2 as they did in the original.  The sound track rocks as hard as the first, also.  I had no idea those 70's hits I grew up with were ever this kickass.
You will probably enjoy this movie more if you've seen Volume 1; you kind of need to know the characters and what they mean to each other to really appreciate the relationship dynamics.

This was a fine follow up to the first Guardians of the Galaxy.  I recommend it highly.

Read more Two Word Movie Reviews.
Read about the review author.

No comments: