Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I saved a worm today.


We'd had a hard rain yesterday, and a few worms that had been flooded out of the ground were still wandering around on pavement a little dazed today.
I was walking across campus minding my own business when I spotted one of these dudes on the sidewalk in front of me.  My intent was to side-step it, but then it moved. It was still alive, but not by much.

And this small boy voice in my head begged, "Save it, momma."

The sticky cold thing was between my fingers before I even realized I was going to pick it up.
"Here you go, buddy."  I actually said it out loud as I dropped the worm into the grass.

I saved a worm today.
Not because I necessarily wanted to or even intended to.

It's the person my children turned me into, and that person saves worms.
No questions asked.

When I got home, I hugged both of my adult children and thanked them for giving me such lovely memories of being their mom.

2 comments:

stapeliad said...

I am glad you saved the worm, and I would have done the same.

It is these small tiny acts that define the true greatness of who we are within.

xoxo

Thumper said...

My hero :)

On the flipside, I stepped on a snail the other day, and felt *horrible* for a couple of hours. Poor snail, didn't do anything other than be in the wrong spot at the wrong time.