Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Hobby vs. "Have to"

On the one hand, it's nice that a lot of people have liked my crocheted projects, and they've ordered so many items that I've been working on commissioned projects since the beginning of November.
On the other hand, I've been so busy making things for other people, I haven't had time to listen to the yarn.

I still have baskets of yarn waiting to be transformed into something, but for two months, it's had to wait in line behind new yarn that I've brought into the house for these paid-for projects.

I've always said that doing something you like to do is fun... until you have to do it.  Then, it's work.
There is more joy in getting a thank you for a chemo hat from a friend of a friend that I've never met than there is joy in getting a check for four candy corn hats I made for a co-worker.

I think you might have known this about me without me telling you.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to finishing up a few things and spending time listening to the yarn.
Because, look at what I have here, you guys...



Lookit!  Lookit!  Lookit!



I just know it has some sweet nothings to whisper to me.

8 comments:

Quinn and Angel brandi said...

Stop. Stop taking orders. Say you're working on something big. You don't have to say anything else. And this big thing will be YOUR thing. Your heart singing to you with your yarn. Love it, keep it, give it away, but it is part of you.
That's called sanity. And peace.
When you are filled with the song, YOU decide if you are ready to take orders or sing some more.
I sound like some great native american shaman.
I'm not.
But I know how to listen to the singing....
You know you do, too.
Carol

las794 said...

I know how you feel. I used to draw constantly. Now it's only for work, and not much of that is creative. At home--nuthin'. My creativity well has gone dry. :P

Roses said...

Carol: I kinda feel guilty taking money, but I give part of it to charity, and the rest goes to buy more yarn. So, at least there's that.

las794: Yup. That's it exactly.

Andy said...

Roses, you might look at it this way...

When someone orders 4 candy corn hats, they are obviously not going to wear them all. They are going to give them to others. You have a talent that the buyer does not, but they still get the joy of giving, and the receiver gets the joy of being remembered, and gifted.

I know that comment made ZERO sense.

It didn't come out like I'm thinking it.

Okay...you are using your talent to make someone happy. The fact that you're getting paid for it does not change that.

Roses said...

Andy: You make perfect sense.
Imma even gonna give you a hug.
((HUG))

Andy said...

Wow!

I hope it was as good for you as it was for me...

I sure hope The Mrs. doesn't see this (Nyuk)

Happy new year, Roses!

Bou said...

I completely forgot to tell you this! AND, worse still, when it happened I said to my Mom and Dad, "I have to tell Roses!"

Every year my Dad makes us a family calendar. He downloads pix from throughout the year and has one printed up for each of us.

This year, I swear there are two or three with my brother wearing the chicken hat. And better still, on the day of your birthday, my Dad puts a picture of you on that date. So on 8 Sept, there is a picture of me, since it's my day. On my bro's bday? Yup, picture of him wearing a chicken hat. I took pictures of the pictures to send to you. I have to do that...

Cracked me up...

Roses said...

OMG, Bou, that is hilarious!