Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yeah, still obsessed with yarn over here

Elder Son woke up Saturday morning to find me cutting plastic grocery bags into one-inch-wide strips.

He:  What are you doing?
Me:  I'm making plarn.
He:  Did you say plarn?  What's plarn?
Me:  Plastic. Yarn.  Plarn.
He:   ...
        Why?
Me:  (gesturing around at the three baskets of yarn littering our livingroom) Because clearly, I don't. have. enough. yarn.
He:   ... 
        So, what are you gonna make with it?
Me:  Plastic bags, of course.

That's right, folks.
I'm cutting up plastic bags so I can make a plastic bag.
I know.  It makes no sense to me, either.

7 comments:

Thumper said...

Makes perfect sense to me...

Oblivious Beast said...

Hunh. I can see it. A wonderfully woven (Ok, I mean crochet) plastic bag made out of plastic bags. I like it. It's surreal.

Richmond said...

Can't wait to see the pics! :)

Miss Em said...

Yea-yuh. Pic's are now a necessary thing because I want to see how you joined everything.

Just threw out a whole passel of them. Sure would like to be able to use them for something else. HHHHhuuummmm.??? I wonder if a table cloth for the outside table would be useable....just how wide are you cutting the strips?

Miss Em

Miss Em said...

Oh forgot to ask...

Are you cutting them straight across or going in a continuous strip like when you peel an apple?

Miss Em

Roses said...

Miss Em: I tried both ways. I found it terribly time consuming to cut a bag into one long strip. Going straight across is, like, five times faster. And, by looping the strips together, there aren't any ends to weave in. The knots aren't even noticable.

You all are gonna have to wait a while for pics. I ran out of red and white bags and have only finished the base of my bag.
Must go shopping... Need more bags...

Andy said...

Shop-talk is booooooooring...

Nyuk!

A non-crafter like myself can only imagine the gem that shall appear from plastic bags and yarn.

I'm sure all of y'all with creative minds know exactly where this is headed. I'll just have to wait to be stunned by the finished product.