Friday, September 03, 2010

Traveling Marching Band

What's wrong with some people that they don't know the meaning of the word NO?

The only things Younger Son doesn't like about junior high school band is marching in parades in other towns.  It's the marching and the traveling.  He just wants to play the instruments.

So, last spring, when a soccer mom we are friends with asked The Husband and me if Younger Son would like to join her son in a Sunday traveling band group, we told her no.  Younger Son would not like it.

I thought that would be the end of it.

No.

About a month later, Younger Son said this woman's son had asked him if he'd want to join the Sunday marching band.  The Husband and I pointed out to Younger Son, hello, marching?  traveling?
Younger Son said, yeah, I'd hate that.

I thought that would be the end of it.

Yesterday, Younger Son called me at work because this woman's son had invited Younger Son to one of the Sunday marching band's practices.  Just a practice.  You can bring your clarinette.
"And," Younger Son tells me as if it's the biggest selling point, "I won't have to pay any membership fee tonight.  I can just go to practice!"

Ehem.
Son?  MarchingTraveling.  And now we find out they want you to pay for the trouble.
Really?

Good lord.

The Husband tells me not to be too upset with the family for their enthusiasm.  He says it's nice they like this organization so much they want their friends to be a part of it, too.
Yeah?
Well, I'm beginning to think it's secretly Amway.

4 comments:

Dani said...

I'm always suspicious of anything with a "first one's free" policy.

Also yes, no means no. You are correct.

Miss Em said...

Maybe trying to get Y-S into a community orchestra..no marching but there maybe some traveling to put on performances.
You know schools, nursing homes etc....which means lots of "sitting".

Miss Em

Fickle Cattle said...

I'm easily suckered by things like these. I could never say no. And then they get to keep my life hostage for a while until I can escape.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Roses said...

Believe me, Miss Em, the boy is busy enough without searching for extra curricular activities.
But thank you for the suggestion. That does sound like something he would enjoy more.