Monday, June 25, 2007

"Hey, It's Me"

Dear "Hey, it's me",

Which "me" are you?
You are the third person to call on the phone today and declare yourself "me".
I don't know which "me" you are.

"Hey, it's me" only works on me when you are the husband.
And he never says, "Hey, it's me."
He says, "Hey, gorgeous."

If you think "Hey, it's me" is cute or funny when you call me at work, it's really not.
I am working. I am busy. I have things to do.

So, please, when you call, tell me your name.

Thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Even people I know sound like people I don't know on the phone.

Stating your name is just the most basic of courtesies.

Hapkido said...

No kidding. Do people enjoy that awkward moment where you have to figure out who the heck is on the line?

I just get blunt & ask who's speaking. After all, if they won't be courteous, why should I?

Pumpkin Ceeds said...

I just got off the phone with a friend who did this to me! I thought it was someone else until she started to tell me about her hubby! LOL!

Oh yeah, I tagged you in a meme! Come visit.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my pet peeves. Even if I'm calling my best friend of about 30 years, I still say "It's Mrs. Who". Simple courtesy.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Though I do find it funny when my dad calls and identifies himself with his full name - not jsut "this is your Dad." Heh...

Anonymous said...

Y'know, maybe people figure everyone has Caller ID by now, and they figure the person answering the phone already knows who is calling.

Still, there's no substitute for common courtesy. I haven't seen one piece of technology that can replace that.

Hapkido said...

All caller ID does for me is help me know it's work calling...so I can ignore it.
I actually have a ringtone for the "do not answer" people I know.