Monday, September 24, 2012

Self Sufficient

Elder Son had a long shift on Saturday, so I gave him a few options for lunch before he left.

Me:  Do you want a ham and cheese sandwich, peanut butter and jelly, or do you just want to make your own lunch?
He:  I don't really care as long as I don't have to make it myself.

Good enough.
If I hadn't been willing to make him a sandwich, I wouldn't have offered it as an option.

As I prepared to pack his lunch fixings into a paper bag, we had this conversation:
Me:  Do a lot of people at work bring food in a plain paper bag?  Should I write your name on this so you know this one's yours?
He:  That wouldn't be a bad idea.
Me:  Do you want me to draw little hearts on this?  Or flowers?
He:  Uh...
Me:  ... or put little animal stickers on it?
He:  Or... I write my own name on the bag.  I could do that part myself.

Good enough, son.
Good enough.

4 comments:

Christie Critters said...

Love it! I would vote for the animal stickers...

Roses said...

There was a time, Christie, (and I swear it wasn't so long ago) that he preferred the animal stickers.

... but then he started playing shoot-em-up things on-line. So...

Maybe I need zombie stickers?
Zombie stickers on his lunch bag at work. I like it.

Christie Critters said...

Roses, My little Stubble (who used to call me "sweet and charming mother" when he wanted something really badly), will be turning 21 in 3 weeks...
If you find the zombie stickers, please let me know. He has lunch in my office every day right before calculus and I'd like to surprise him.

Roses said...

Christie, that is *the* most adorable idea I have ever heard.

I have never seen actual zombie stickers, but I'm sure they must exist somewhere.

And in my mind, I can see that you have them and you are surprising Stubble with them tomorrow.

No, no...
You let me have this fantasy...