Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"I'd be offended if you didn't."

Several months ago, I had the tremendous honor of meeting Helen Thomas.
Now.
Whatever your political bent, and no matter how old the woman looks, you MUST respect the career this woman has had... and continues to have.
And she came to my radio station.
I sat in the same room with her.
I shook her hand.

When she entered the studio, our talk host fell all over himself.
"Can I get you a beverage? Is that seat comfortable? Can we turn up/down the heat?"
She was very gracious and waved off all the attention.
But when the host asked, "Helen, do you mind if I take off my jacket?"
she replied, "I'd be offended if you didn't."

The host and I found that so amusing, we've thrown it back and forth to each other ever since.
"Do you mind if I go get some coffee, Roses?"
"I'd be offended if you didn't."
"I have one more commercial to squeeze in. Is it okay if I play it now?"
"I'd be offended if you didn't."

I'm pretty sure someday someone will walk into the studio and ask an innocent question that will be answered, "I'd be offended if you didn't". And when the host and I burst out laughing, that person will have no idea why.

So.
If you ever see me type it (like I did in yesterday's comments), now you get it.
You don't have to laugh at it, but at least you won't have to think I've lost my marbles.

1 comment:

Richmond said...

Ha! that's cool!! :)