Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Definition of Passive Aggressive

Recently, the brother-in-law visited. He brought along several things from the mother-in-law. On a package of play-to-learn software, there was a handwritten note. The husband shuddered, ripped it off, and threw it away without reading it.

Um...

I couldn't help myself. I dug it out of the trash and read it.
"You're right," I told the husband. "You don't want to read this."

Just to prove I haven't been exaggerating stories about her, here's what her note said:

"I got this for the boys last spring for possible summer use but I saw no one coming this way or going that way so it stayed on my shelf. It did no good there. Now the problem is yours - to use or not to use."

Gee.
I don't know whether to thank her or apologize.

6 comments:

Hapkido said...

Is it possible to e-mail/snail mail a good slap upside the head? That would tick me off.

Anonymous said...

Has your mother-in-law ever heard of the postal service? It is not as bad as it used to be. If it was software it would have qualified as media mail and she could even get a discount. That is a horrible note to tape to the outside of any package but even more so considering it was for the kids. I am sure you are glad that she is not living down the street.

Lemon Stand said...

At least you don't have to live near her any more! I hope your headache is better and that today is a really good one for ya.

Richmond said...

God, I can see why you miss that woman so... *sniff*

Anonymous said...

She's in her 60s, right? I think she's my former m-i-l....

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Who: Oh Lord NO!!! Her family lives forever! If she was only 60, that would mean 40 more years with the woman!

ACK!