Saturday, October 06, 2007

Two Word Movie Review - The Seeker

Here are your two words:

"Seen it"


That says a lot considering that I hadn't read the movie's book "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper, and I hadn't seen more than this trailer before enjoying this flick at the theater.

But even my 10- and 12-year-old had this PG rated movie figured out from the beginning.

And frankly, unless you've been living under a rock and are completely unfamiliar with current pop literature, you will see this one coming a mile away, too.
With the numerous similarities to another fantasy thriller (the search for relics and a slightly hissy old lady, to name a couple), I'm slightly surprised there wasn't some sort of plagarism lawsuit tossed around.

Like other pop literature converted to big screen, this movie felt condensed to the point of omission.

I haven't read Susan Cooper's book, but I think if you have, you will be disappointed by what is missing in this movie.

But if you haven't read this book (or anything else in, oh say, ten years), you may be thrilled and excited with how this ends.

While I enjoyed the movie for the most part, I wished there had been more. The kids wished there had been more.
The bulk of our conversation on the way home was, "How soon did you figure out...?"
(BTW, the husband wins for correctly guessing the hooded figure on the bridge first.)

I enjoyed it, but felt I'd already seen it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't judge the book by the movie... the movie probably bears a resemblance to the book only in the title and the names of the characters... unless Hollywood has drastically changed its practices over the last year or so.

That's why I very very seldom see a movie when I have read the book - it never lives up to expectations. In 99.99% of the cases - the book far exceeds the movie as far as story line goes. To the point that I often marvel they can claim "based on a book by..."

Anonymous said...

Teresa: You are probably right.
I didn't even know this movie was based on a book until we sat down in the theater. I've already asked my library to track down the book for me. :-)

Have you read the book?
Doesn't it bear striking similarities to another book in current pop culture? I mean, for goodness sakes, it's even got TWINS!

Anonymous said...

LOL - hadn't heard of the movie or the book before your post.